Pizza day was my favorite when I was little! Once a month or so, my family got pizza. And I. was. obsessed. For real. The best pizza of my childhood came from Wolfgang Puck at Boardwalk Disney. In fact, it’s the first meal I remember that made me stop, lose my breath, accelerate my heart and turn a moment into an instant memory. Ever since that day, I wanted to go back and taste it again. I haven’t made it back yet. So I decided to make a pizza just as good. And this pesto steak pizza comes pretty dang close. So get those pizza peels, flour those surfaces and preheat those ovens. We’re making pesto steak pizza.
What’s in it?
My bacon chive pizza crust, pistachio pesto, good mozzarella and gorgonzola cheese, and some classic steak au poivre. You can always use store-bought crust and pesto, but I really recommend my recipes for the intended taste. Between the pesto, the cheese and the steak, this pizza has a great flavor profile. You can add or customize seasonings, herbs and spices as you will, but if you’re going to add, try not to add too much. Adding too much makes the pizza muddled and unclear. I recommend adding some heat with red pepper perhaps, or potentially adding some chives to increase the smoky quality of the food. Some extra herbs on the steak wouldn’t go amiss either. Just keep the flavors clear and distinct.
If you have a food processor. If you don’t, then it’s still not very hard. It will, however take time to prepare the dough. But once the dough is ready, or if you are starting with another crust, then the entire process takes maybe 30 minutes.
This is a mature pizza, perfect for special occasions, impressing the one you love, or just a special night all alone. Pizza doesn’t have to be the college party special. Properly done, it’s as gourmet as anything else out there. And it’s an invigorating thing to put on the table! Every time I put something like it on the table, I feel like I’ve taken food back from the industry and made it my own. And I love it! That’s what happens when you make DIY food. From scratch. Your way.
- 1 pound steak (I use top round)
- 1 recipe bacon chive pizza crust (or store bought)
- 1 pound mozzarella
- .5 pounds gorgonzola (Italian blue cheese)
- 1 onion, chopped caramelized (can be omitted, but is preferred)
- 1 recipe peanut spinach pesto. Can use store bought, if desired
- Season steak and preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Cook steak over medium high heat for 3 minutes each side, then finish for roughly 10 minutes in oven. Make sure that nothing is raw.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- After preparing dough and pesto, cut dough into 2 pieces, shape dough into circles and put 1 Tbsp of pesto on each
- Top each with half of the cheese and steak
- Bake each at 500 degrees for 10 minutes each
Leave a Reply